If you notice a high-pitched “chirp” coming from your smoke detectors, it could mean that their battery life is drained. But it could also mean that your smoke detectors are nearing the end of their lifespan.
We all know that smoke detectors are crucial in preventing fire deaths and injuries, but did you know that they need to be replaced as they near their 10-year manufacture date?
Not sure if your smoke detectors need to be replaced? Our team at Best Home Services explains how you can tell!
How to Tell if Your Smoke Detectors Need to Be Replaced
There are several ways to tell if your smoke detectors need to be replaced including:
Checking the Date
Smoke detectors are usually good for around 10 years after their manufacture date, which you can find printed on the back of the alarm.
If you aren’t sure how old your smoke detectors are, make sure you check the back for the manufacturer date on every smoke detector in your house. If they are less than 10 years old, they should be in good working order. Change their batteries once a year, and test them at least once a month.
If your smoke detectors are more than 10 years old, they need to be replaced ASAP.
If you notice that your smoke alarms are not working properly when you test them, it is time to call an electrician for an inspection or to replace them. It could save your life.
Audio and Visual Cues
A smoke detector that is on its last legs will often chirp like it does if the batteries need to be replaced. If you replace the batteries and this doesn’t solve the problem, it’s time for a replacement!
Further, as smoke detectors age, they may start to turn yellow, which is a cue that it’s time for a change. Smoke detectors yellow over time due to Brominated Flame Retardants (BFRs) that are used in the plastic alarm housing. These compounds will turn yellow when exposed to UV light.
What About Hardwired Smoke Detectors?
Though an experienced DIYer might be able to tackle this job on their own, we recommend calling in a licensed electrician to replace hardwired smoke detectors as improperly installed smoke detectors could cost you your life.
Hardwired smoke detectors need to be replaced just as often as non-hardwired detectors.
If you need hardwired smoke detectors replaced throughout your home, call our team from Best Home Services! Our experts will quickly and efficiently replace your smoke detectors and test them to ensure they are working properly. Schedule our service today!
Protect Your Family with Proper Smoke Detector Maintenance
Follow these steps to test your smoke detectors once a month:
- Tell everyone in the house that you are going to test the smoke detectors.
- Have everyone stand in the room farthest away from the alarm you are testing to ensure it can be heard in all areas of your home.
- When everyone is ready, locate the test button on the smoke detector then push and hold it for a few seconds to trigger the alarm. If you don’t hear anything or the sound is muffled, the detector is not working properly. Try replacing the batteries or calling in an electrician from Best Home Services if your smoke detectors are hardwired.
- If the alarm sounds properly, it will automatically turn off after a few seconds, but you might need to hit the button again to turn it off.
- You should also check to see if the detector’s sensors are working. Use an aerosol smoke detector test spray and spray it in the direction of the alarm. If it doesn’t sound, it’s likely time to replace it.
- You can also use real smoke to check the sensors. Take 2-3 matches and light them at least two feet underneath the detector. If the alarm doesn’t go off, replace the smoke detector immediately.
Lean on the Best to Keep Your Family Safe
If you need help switching out aged smoke detectors or need new hardwired smoke detectors installed, call our team of highly skilled electricians at Best Home Services! We will ensure that they are installed properly and we will test them to ensure that they are ready to alert you at the first hint of a fire in your home.
Lean on our team at Best Home Services for all your electrical needs. We’re called the “best” for a reason! Schedule a smoke detector installation or inspection today; 844-921-2833!