We love where we live, but Florida is well-known for its hot and humid weather. The soaring temperatures can make it difficult to keep your home comfortable – and safe. High humidity levels can lead to a range of problems, from mold and mildew growth to respiratory issues and damage to your home’s structure.
Fortunately, there is a simple solution that can help: a dehumidifier. In this guide, we will explore the benefits of using a dehumidifier in your home and explain why it might be the BEST choice for you.
What is a Dehumidifier and How Does it Work?
A dehumidifier is an appliance that is designed to remove excess moisture from the air. It works by pulling in humid air, cooling it to condense the moisture, and then releasing the drier air back into the room.
Dehumidifiers come in a variety of sizes and styles, from small portable units to large, whole-home models.
The collected water is either drained through a hose or collected in a container that needs to be emptied periodically.
Florida’s Humidity Levels & The Danger of a Humid Home
It’s not surprising to us that Florida is one of the most humid states in the country, just take a walk outside! According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), the average relative humidity in Florida is around 75 percent. However, humidity levels can vary depending on the time of day, season, and location within the state.
However, it’s not just uncomfortable… high humidity levels can pose a range of dangers to your home and even to your health. Some of the most serious include:
- Mold and mildew growth
- Increased risk of respiratory issues
- Damage to your home’s structure
- An increase in pests/insects
Signs of High Humidity
Your home’s ability to naturally keep out humidity largely depends on how it was built. Some homes are designed to have proper ventilation and insulation, which can help regulate the amount of moisture in the air. However, even in these cases, it’s important to keep an eye out for signs of high humidity.
Some common indicators that your Florida home may be experiencing excessive humidity levels include:
- Condensation: Do you notice water droplets forming on your windows or walls? This is a clear sign that there is too much moisture in the air. This is especially common during the summer months when temperatures are high, and the air is saturated with moisture.
- Musty Odors: A musty odor is a sign of mold growth, which can be caused by high humidity levels. Mold thrives in damp environments and can cause respiratory problems if left unchecked.
- Allergy Symptoms: High humidity can also trigger allergy symptoms like sneezing, coughing, and itchy eyes. This is because excess moisture in the air can cause dust mites and other allergens to thrive.
- Peeling Paint or Wallpaper: When humidity levels are high, moisture can seep into the walls and cause paint or wallpaper to peel. This is not only unsightly, but it can also be a sign of structural damage.
- Difficulty Cooling: When there is too much moisture in the air, it can be difficult to cool your home effectively. This is because the excess moisture can make the air feel heavy and muggy, which can prevent your air conditioning system from working efficiently.
Enjoy clean air and a clean home with these Top 10 Home Maintenance Tasks to Tackle This Spring
Beat Florida’s Humidity
Our lovely state of Florida can’t be too perfect. Because of the high humidity levels, it’s important to take steps to prevent issues like mold growth, respiratory problems, and damage to your home’s structure. By investing in a dehumidifier, you’ll create a more comfortable and healthy living environment in your home.
If you’re experiencing any of the signs of high humidity in your Florida home, or if you want to prevent these issues from occurring, a dehumidifier will surely help! Our expert team at Best Home Services can help you choose the right size and type of dehumidifier for your home and install it quickly and efficiently. Don’t wait – start enjoying the benefits of a dehumidifier in your Florida home today.
Call Best Home Services today at (239) 323-7274! With our help, you can enjoy a more comfortable and healthy living environment year-round!