If you are planning to install a new ceiling fan in your home, you might be wondering if it is a project that you can tackle on your own, or if you should get the help of a professional electrician.
To help you decide, our electricians at Best Home Services discuss the benefits of installing a ceiling fan, as well as reasons why you should hire a professional for the installation.
Benefits of Ceiling Fans
Southwest Florida is one of the warmest and most humid climates in the United States. Running the AC almost year-round can cause higher utility costs, as well as maintenance and repair costs for your AC system.
Installing a ceiling fan can help regulate the temperature in your home and save on energy costs throughout the year.
Here are some great benefits of installing a ceiling fan:
- Lowered energy costs: Ceiling fans do not reduce the temperature in your home, rather they blow air across your skin and make you feel cooler even if the temperature hasn’t changed.
- Take some burden off the AC system: Since ceiling fans help you feel cooler without lowering the temperature, this helps reduce the burden on your AC system. Allowing your AC to rest will greatly increase its lifespan and reduce the number of repairs that you will need.
- They add beauty: Ceiling fans are beautiful and practical. There are many different styles that you can choose from to fit your unique style and fit seamlessly into your home decor.
- They improve air quality: The air in your home is filled with many allergens and contaminants, and ceiling fans can work in tandem with your AC unit to ventilate these contaminants so the air in your home is cleaner.
- They are versatile: Ceiling fans can be installed in almost any room in the home, and even outside!
- They are useful throughout the seasons: Ceiling fans can even help on cooler fall or winter days. Many ceiling fans can run the other direction which helps push warmer air down and makes the air in your home feel warmer. This can even reduce the need to turn on the heater even on the coldest of days.
Should I DIY the Install of a Ceiling Fan?
We believe that a ceiling fan should only be installed by a professional electrician—even if you are a seasoned DIYer. Fan installation requires knowledge of electrical wiring as well as having the right supplies on hand to do the job correctly.
Attempting to DIY this job can be dangerous and could damage your home in the process. If you want to give it a try, you can watch this how-to guide video to install a new ceiling fan. We’re just a phone call away if you need us.
Why Hire An Electrician?
A professional electrician is:
- Knowledgeable about codes and wiring
- Equipped with the right equipment
- Trained in electrical safety
- Trained in safe ceiling mounting and balancing of fans
Here are some more reasons why hiring an electrician from Best Home Services is the right way to go.
Incorrect Wiring Can Cause Issues
Many things can go wrong during a DIY fan installation. Many homeowners are unaware of the correct gauge of wiring needed to install a fan in the ceiling and using existing wiring from a previous fixture can result in problems such as flickering lights and tripping circuits.
Be warned—even small mistakes during a DIY electrical job could lead to electrical fires. If you must, give yourself ample time to hang the new ceiling fan.
Risk of Falls
Installing a new ceiling fan requires standing on a ladder while wrestling a fan and attempting to get the electrical connections right. Even if you have a helper, the risk of dropping the fan or falling is high.
Incorrect installation can cause the fan to separate from the ceiling unexpectedly and fall, injuring whoever is underneath the fan at the time.
Hiring a professional electrician ensures safety during and after installation.
Risk of Electrical Injury
Did you remember to turn off the power?
Safety is the number one reason to leave ceiling fan installation to the professionals.
DIYing any kind of electrical work can be extremely risky if you don’t know what you are doing. Even if you turn off the power, there is a chance that you may connect the electrical wires incorrectly causing improper function, or worse, sparks or electrocution.
Risk of Ceiling Damage
If you are replacing a light fixture with a new ceiling fan, or if you are cutting a hole in the ceiling to accommodate the fan, you run the risk of damaging the ceiling.
Why risk it, when you can hire an electrician from Best Home Services to install your ceiling fan in your Southwest, Florida home? Call us today — 844-921-2833!
Call Best Home Services for Expert Ceiling Fan Installations
Keep your cool with a new ceiling fan! They have many benefits including being energy-efficient, attractive, and making your home more comfortable.
While it may be tempting to install a ceiling fan on your home, this job is best left to the professionals. It will save you time and headaches in the long run.